Skip to main content

Wakey wakey

Just when you think you're becoming accustomed to your morning routine, there's the morning when you just cannot get out of bed. In high school, it was a struggle to get myself into the classroom without being late. I had to spend a total of twelve hours in detention a week before senior prom, because I couldn't manage to wake up and get my butt to school on time every morning. The main motivational difference between getting up in high school and getting up for adulthood is my discovery of coffee. Coffee reassures that you will be waking up with a light at the end of the tunnel of your dreaded morning. You want to assume that you are a professional, "killin' it" at your first nine-to-five full-time job. But, then you have a random Wednesday that keeps you hitting the snooze button. The depressing reality of it, is you didn't even stay up late drinking. You can't smell the coffee that is a half an hour of getting ready, one hour of bumper-to-bumper traffic, 15 minutes of trying to find parking in the city, and 15 minutes of walking up to work away. Some days that motivational cup of Joe is an unreasonably far goal to reach. The adult inside of me flies straight out of the window and the good old kid I know just wants to sleep five more minutes and maybe five more. Of course when you finally arise from that coffin like a vampire of the night, you immediately regret your decision to continue dreaming about insecurities of the subconscious for five more minutes. You're brushing you're teeth and kicking yourself simultaneously. Trying to curate a flawless excuse with elaborate detail, but really your only excuse is that you literally "didn't want to". Which is ridiculous.
At first, hitting the snooze button with no real concern for getting to work on time, all to save yourself another five, well maybe thirty minutes, of sleep seems so inconsequential. Until, you come to realize that your nine-to-five job is paying for your ability to function in life as a real human being. It buys your food and your beer, pays your bills, and gives you structure so you don't become homeless. That is a lot to give up for hitting the snooze button, but what do I know? I'm new to this.

Want to hear more from this blogger? Visit Jessica Ryan's Portfolio.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The sun will come out, tomorrow..

Why is it that a bad day can turn into a bad week, and then into a bad couple of months? Is this a chain reaction from a negativity-focused mindset, or is it really that bad? A positive is that after bad incidents occur, there is a lesson to be learned, which puts me one-step ahead of who I was last week. Seems like only last week that my dog locked herself inside my car while I was pumping gas. When you have to give up nice things, like your brand new Jeep that has a keyless start, you forget that your used Nissan Versa hatchback has only one key that is still locked in, staring devilishly from the ignition. This is how I discovered the advantages of AAA about one incident too late. Just when you think you have everything figured out, you’re watching $70 float away as some chump pulls up an hour later and unlocks your car in about 5 seconds. The piling effect just proves to be true, as your bank account had less than $10 until tomorrow to eat and your goal of a five buck Lil Creaser’

It's Fate!

The last time I had ever heard mentioning of the phrase "life-crisis" is when my step-dad raced his Suzuki 1000 crotch rocket around town every night and fucked around on my mom. Being a teenager it seemed, by definition, a time when a man becomes tired of his wife and kids so he buys stupid things and does stupid stuff. For example, he has been married for a long time, he has teenage kids that are full of rebellion and rage, and a wife that wants absolutely nothing to do with him, because her kids are the main focus at that time. Add a nice expensive toy, a scandalous hot blonde, and a bloating confidence stemming from the sad realization he's done with his twenties, and well into his thirties and you have what is called a "mid-life crisis". During this "mid-life crisis", it seems people go into a deep and depressing denial that fuels the ridiculous behaviors and decisions they take on when they realize life has caught up with them, and they are not

You're never too old for PB&J

No one warned me about a slowed metabolism until it was too late. Or maybe I wasn't listening, because I was a teenager. Teenagers don't listen. When you were in high school, it would be perfectly normal to finish off an entire pizza all to yourself while maintaining a skeletal figure. I try to reflect on that time to figure out the exact formula of my teenage diet, thinking I could revert back to it. All that comes to memory is binge eating the crappiest food possible or not eating at all. Which identically aligns with my current eating habits. However, I am withholding this "woman's" body. In reviewing my physical activity as a teenager, I do recall a lot more exercise. I was involved in organized sports everyday after school. I ran around the neighborhood on my bike or roller blades with my friends. I did a lot of spontaneous dancing in my room in front of the mirror. And even though I was a brat who did not participate in gym class, I have come to realize