Skip to main content

Here's to the freakin' weekend!

The transition to “adulting” is like this: imagine yourself as a cute baby bird, chirping with joy. You have love, shelter and a belly full of worms. Until, all of the sudden, the nest starts to tilt. You are gripping your claws tightly into the side, trying to hold on as long as you possibly can before nature forcefully shoves you from mommy’s cozy nest. You are out in the open air, alone. Quickly plummeting towards the hard ground of grown-up responsibilities. Flapping your weak and inexperienced wings in hopes that they will fly gracefully among the path of society’s acceptance train. If you did not manage to splatter against the pavement or break your neck on a tree branch on the way down, congrats! You’ve made it! What is the reward you ask? To spend the rest of your life flying around in hopes you don’t come crashing down.  
Why is the real world so cruel? It could care less about the amount of sleep endured, a human’s mental state as a result of working day after day, or the lack of personal time to actually enjoy this life. When did work become my life? I recall a younger-self, anxiously awaiting adulthood. Walking around with a pad of paper and an apron, taking food orders down from family members to prepare beaded necklaces in a bowl to look like spaghetti. The monopoly money tips were better as a child, than my days actually serving pasta to real people, with real money. At least family saw the potential, or happen to see me at all for that matter. I wanted the respect, wisdom, and experiences adults had. Little did I know, gaining freedoms with being an adult would also mean a loss of many enjoyable freedoms I had as a child.
What amazes me is the amount of people that choose to work careers that they don’t feel passionate about, or even seem to enjoy. People are more focused on celebrating during their time off work. I hate my job, but it paid for this vacation. This particular person think's they are winning, but really, they are completely oblivious as to the importance of enjoying the mandatory activity we have to participate in 40 hours of our week!
Thank God it's Friday! The phrase so well-known and thrown about the office, with so many hidden disappointments. I celebrate knowing that it's Friday, but also cringing at the fact that the weekend will be over before I know it. The time on my computer creeps at a gut-wrenchingly painful speed. In just over 48 hours, (technically, if you sleep a full 8 hours Friday and Saturday night, the total is around approximately 32 hours) you're expected to drop everything at work, completely lose your memory of ever working and relax. By the time you get off on Friday you're either too tired to go out to do anything, or you're so excited to get off work that you go out to the bar in a delirious celebratory manner, "I survived another week!” You spend all day Saturday hungover, stuck like glue to the couch with a Gatorade pursed between your lips. By the time Sunday hits, you might finally be relaxing or you Sunday funday (the definition of saying fuck it to all of your preparatory responsibilities to function in the upcoming workweek, such as, paying bills, budgeting, cleaning the house, doing your laundry, shopping for the week, and preparing meals).
TGIF is nothing more to me than a corporate, overpriced restaurant. Saturday is your only day off. You will not sleep in this weekend because your body is too used to getting up at 7am every morning for work. If you plan your days with activities, then the weekend will be gone before you know it. If you stay at home on the couch and do absolutely nothing then you feel like you completely wasted all that time off. Your job gives you maybe 2 weeks off throughout the year, but you will not get them in a lump sum. Its one day here, one day there. You take a day off because you have to go to the gynecologist. Wow that's fun! Maybe you take a day off because you have to go to the bank, take your dog to the vet or get an oil change. I just can't believe I'm going to be doing this supposedly until I'm 65 years old. But then again, the days go by so fast that we all will be dead before we know it. Have a great weekend!

Want to hear more from this blogger? Visit Jessica Ryan's Portfolio.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The sun will come out, tomorrow..

Why is it that a bad day can turn into a bad week, and then into a bad couple of months? Is this a chain reaction from a negativity-focused mindset, or is it really that bad? A positive is that after bad incidents occur, there is a lesson to be learned, which puts me one-step ahead of who I was last week. Seems like only last week that my dog locked herself inside my car while I was pumping gas. When you have to give up nice things, like your brand new Jeep that has a keyless start, you forget that your used Nissan Versa hatchback has only one key that is still locked in, staring devilishly from the ignition. This is how I discovered the advantages of AAA about one incident too late. Just when you think you have everything figured out, you’re watching $70 float away as some chump pulls up an hour later and unlocks your car in about 5 seconds. The piling effect just proves to be true, as your bank account had less than $10 until tomorrow to eat and your goal of a five buck Lil Creaser’

It's Fate!

The last time I had ever heard mentioning of the phrase "life-crisis" is when my step-dad raced his Suzuki 1000 crotch rocket around town every night and fucked around on my mom. Being a teenager it seemed, by definition, a time when a man becomes tired of his wife and kids so he buys stupid things and does stupid stuff. For example, he has been married for a long time, he has teenage kids that are full of rebellion and rage, and a wife that wants absolutely nothing to do with him, because her kids are the main focus at that time. Add a nice expensive toy, a scandalous hot blonde, and a bloating confidence stemming from the sad realization he's done with his twenties, and well into his thirties and you have what is called a "mid-life crisis". During this "mid-life crisis", it seems people go into a deep and depressing denial that fuels the ridiculous behaviors and decisions they take on when they realize life has caught up with them, and they are not

You're never too old for PB&J

No one warned me about a slowed metabolism until it was too late. Or maybe I wasn't listening, because I was a teenager. Teenagers don't listen. When you were in high school, it would be perfectly normal to finish off an entire pizza all to yourself while maintaining a skeletal figure. I try to reflect on that time to figure out the exact formula of my teenage diet, thinking I could revert back to it. All that comes to memory is binge eating the crappiest food possible or not eating at all. Which identically aligns with my current eating habits. However, I am withholding this "woman's" body. In reviewing my physical activity as a teenager, I do recall a lot more exercise. I was involved in organized sports everyday after school. I ran around the neighborhood on my bike or roller blades with my friends. I did a lot of spontaneous dancing in my room in front of the mirror. And even though I was a brat who did not participate in gym class, I have come to realize