Skip to main content

So, what's for dinner tonight Mom?

Nourishment can be a challenge with "adulting". You never know how easy you had it living at home, until you're completely on your own. While living at home, our parents made sure we had breakfast every morning. They would send us to school with a packed lunch or with money for hot food from the cafeteria. Then, when you got home there was always dinner on the table. Ultimately, you were fed on a constant basis. You definitely have a better appreciation for your parents when you realize how exhausting feeding yourself three times a day can be. Not to mention, how much money they were spending on you. Some of us rely on microwave dinners and cheap fast food, because we never learned how to cook. How 20-somethings manage to survive without the skill of cooking is puzzling. However, the young people who most-likely have it the worst, are the foodies. If you're in love with food, like I am, you might not be suffering from starvation. Instead, you feel the constant dissatisfaction of a good meal due to the lack of change in your pockets. You have to quit buying $200 worth of groceries every two weeks from the high end grocery store in order to pay your rent on time. So you learn to grow up, invest in a reusable shopping bag, and keep a constant quarter in your car for the local Aldi. At least they have organic foods, so you don't feel as guilty about all of your food labels' being of the same brand. Once you have the $25 grocery shopping trip accomplished, you can then move onto the three-meal plan. Breakfast can be as simple as coffee (free at work) and a bagel, oatmeal, or a frozen egg sandwich, too easy. Lunch starts to become a challenge, because spending the majority of your day at work can lead to poor decisions, such as "I'll just get Subway". You must master the almighty meal prep or you will be susceptible to being hangry with your coworkers. That means either spending all of your Sunday cooking the hell out of your kitchen, or making little extras of your dinners every night to take to work the next day. It's rewarding at lunch time, but dinner is sometimes just too ambitious of a goal. You get tired of eating the same meal you had less than 24 hours ago, you're too broke to order another pizza, and the option of cooking dinner dissipated when you cracked open a beer anyway. In the end, you decide to have a beer dinner and hope your parents invite you out to eat this week. I know how to eat, but I haven't quite mastered how to feed myself!

Want to hear more from this blogger? Visit Jessica Ryan's Portfolio.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The sun will come out, tomorrow..

Why is it that a bad day can turn into a bad week, and then into a bad couple of months? Is this a chain reaction from a negativity-focused mindset, or is it really that bad? A positive is that after bad incidents occur, there is a lesson to be learned, which puts me one-step ahead of who I was last week. Seems like only last week that my dog locked herself inside my car while I was pumping gas. When you have to give up nice things, like your brand new Jeep that has a keyless start, you forget that your used Nissan Versa hatchback has only one key that is still locked in, staring devilishly from the ignition. This is how I discovered the advantages of AAA about one incident too late. Just when you think you have everything figured out, you’re watching $70 float away as some chump pulls up an hour later and unlocks your car in about 5 seconds. The piling effect just proves to be true, as your bank account had less than $10 until tomorrow to eat and your goal of a five buck Lil Creaser’

You're never too old for PB&J

No one warned me about a slowed metabolism until it was too late. Or maybe I wasn't listening, because I was a teenager. Teenagers don't listen. When you were in high school, it would be perfectly normal to finish off an entire pizza all to yourself while maintaining a skeletal figure. I try to reflect on that time to figure out the exact formula of my teenage diet, thinking I could revert back to it. All that comes to memory is binge eating the crappiest food possible or not eating at all. Which identically aligns with my current eating habits. However, I am withholding this "woman's" body. In reviewing my physical activity as a teenager, I do recall a lot more exercise. I was involved in organized sports everyday after school. I ran around the neighborhood on my bike or roller blades with my friends. I did a lot of spontaneous dancing in my room in front of the mirror. And even though I was a brat who did not participate in gym class, I have come to realize

It's Fate!

The last time I had ever heard mentioning of the phrase "life-crisis" is when my step-dad raced his Suzuki 1000 crotch rocket around town every night and fucked around on my mom. Being a teenager it seemed, by definition, a time when a man becomes tired of his wife and kids so he buys stupid things and does stupid stuff. For example, he has been married for a long time, he has teenage kids that are full of rebellion and rage, and a wife that wants absolutely nothing to do with him, because her kids are the main focus at that time. Add a nice expensive toy, a scandalous hot blonde, and a bloating confidence stemming from the sad realization he's done with his twenties, and well into his thirties and you have what is called a "mid-life crisis". During this "mid-life crisis", it seems people go into a deep and depressing denial that fuels the ridiculous behaviors and decisions they take on when they realize life has caught up with them, and they are not