Skip to main content

The Boob Tube

I've become incapable of watching TV. I used to be so good at it, but now its more of an effort than a pleasure. I'll start by turning it on with my remote app on my phone, because I lost the remote. Then, I will choose from one of my many streaming apps. (It's the only way I watch TV, because I am too broke to have cable. I just use my parents log-in's for everything.) I usually start off with Netflix. Then, I'll search through titles for about twenty minutes. "Top Picks for You, Popular, New Releases." I try to decide if I want to watch something quick like "Family Guy" or "Law & Order", or if I want to commit to a lengthier show such as "Breaking Bad" or "Westworld". Or maybe, I want to start a movie. But then you have to pick a genre. Do I want horror? A drama? A documentary? What type of brain capacity am I looking to use? A comedy doesn't use much as long as its not dry comedy. Or is my goal to learn something? I only have about three hours before I have to go to bed, and I rarely ever watch TV so it has to be just the right use of my time. Once I narrow down a few options, if I choose one that I haven't heard of before I have to go online and check the reviews. Anything that falls below 30% on Rotten Tomatoes, or 6/10 on IMDb isn't worth watching. While I'm at it, I didn't realize that particular actor was in this movie, and he's pretty hot. So, that pretty much trumps over all movie decision making. Now that I would finally have my movie picked out, wine in-hand, about a half hour in, I'll fall asleep on the couch.

Want to hear more from this blogger? Visit Jessica Ryan's Portfolio.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't eat carbs before bed!

You sigh from relief when you wake in your bed. Can you imagine if last night's dream really happened? Our dreams are a direct look into our subconscious minds. A farce twist on your normal day-to-day, such as going to school, hanging out with friends or family, or being at work. One minute everything is normal, the next minute you are stuck in a worst-case scenario situation. You feel guilt, sadness, shame, and fear. You become fully immersed, because the dream feels so real, at first. Suddenly, the people and places that you recognize, slowly appear strange and outlandish. Now you start to ask yourself, "Am I dreaming?". Noticing these subtle differences between reality and what must be a dream can give you the rare opportunity of lucid dreaming. Lucid dreaming is one of the most amazing skills to posses, although it is completely useless to society, and entirely selfish. I see it as a guilty pleasure. A night filled with entertainment, an escape from reality. You...

Is this too much stubble?

Why does it feel like you are violating some type of societal standard by wearing the same outfit you did two weeks ago? If you've maxed out your JCPenny credit card, there's just no hope for a new outfit anytime soon. Your best option is to jazz up the outfits you own with different jewelry pairings, shoes, and hair styles. That is, assuming you actually care what you look like. From what has been gathered, impressions play a big role in being respected as a young adult. The sad reality is, people rely on first impressions, without judgement on your character, experience, or skills. How you dress and/or carry yourself is key when meeting someone for the first time.   Everyone   has a slightly skewed interpretation of first impressions. Two people can have completely different views of the same young woman. There is the society standard view and a view coming from truth. With the first view: Wow she dresses nice! What a respectable young woman. If she can...

So, what's for dinner tonight Mom?

Nourishment can be a challenge with "adulting". You never know how easy you had it living at home, until you're completely on your own. While living at home, our parents made sure we had breakfast every morning. They would send us to school with a packed lunch or with money for hot food from the cafeteria. Then, when you got home there was always dinner on the table. Ultimately, you were fed on a constant basis. You definitely have a better appreciation for your parents when you realize how exhausting feeding yourself three times a day can be. Not to mention, how much money they were spending on you. Some of us rely on microwave dinners and cheap fast food, because we never learned how to cook. How 20-somethings manage to survive without the skill of cooking is puzzling. However, the young people who most-likely have it the worst, are the foodies. If you're in love with food, like I am, you might not be suffering from starvation. Instead, you feel the constant dissat...